An introduction to aromatherapy with an emphasis on how essential oils and aromatherapy techniques can be used alongside other therapies. A special focus on dosage, safety, essential oil quality and current evidence will be presented.
Attendees will gain knowledge of:
- Clinical conditions & ailments that could be treated with essential oils.
- Which oils, doses and application methods would be most appropriate.
- Chart of the ‘Top 5’ most useful essential oils, noting chemical constituents in each oil and supporting scientic references.
- Essential oils – history of essential oils.
- How is aromatherapy different from herbal medicine? – Respiratory and topical application, psycho-emotional impact and pharmacological interactions.
- Dosage, dilution and drop size… when and why it matters. – How to use essential oils safely.
- What’s the evidence? Literature reviews and research limitations
- Safety and efficacy of essential oils –Exploration of ongoing debate
- Chemical structure and therapeutic function
- The ‘top 5’ most useful essential oils for clinical practice – Why they are useful, based on the pharmacological activities of their chemical constituents.
Dr E Joy Bowles PhD, BSc (Hons)
Joy Bowles is a gifted and entertaining speaker, published author and international presenter. She developed the rst course in essential oil chemistry in Australia and completed her doctorate on the effects of essential oils on cognitive function in dementia. Dr Bowles is now establishing a global network of researchers to provide a comprehensive evidence base for the use of essential oils in mainstream health care.