Dear ANPA members,
This communication is to keep you up to date as best as possible regarding the pandemic and how it may affect you and your clinic. Know that your contribution as a naturopath in the community is valued at this time of crisis. We need to keep focused on practical information, remaining hopeful and a trustworthy source of information for our patients. We must remain safe and use common sense in protecting ourselves, our families and our patients.
We are a small and dedicated team in the ANPA. Volunteers who are also juggling their own self-care, clinical practice and work for the ANPA members. We are doing our best to gather reliable information for you. This information may change. We are doing our best to keep up. ANPA is here to support you no matter where you are based. Each member may have a different work situation. Some working independently, some in group settings, some in pharmacies and health food stores.
Many are affected by the changing landscape. There are many questions at this time. All are valid as we go through major transition in our society.
Make contact with the office or better still if you are not yet on the ANPA Members Facebook Page yet, THIS IS THE TIME TO JOIN UP. We are helping each other as we need information or just re-assurance.
Read though all this information and check through the links at the end.
Thank you to members who have reached out to the ANPA office.
Earlier this week the Prime Minister made it quite clear that jobs and people remaining in work is essential.
IF you can work you should:
- You can choose to see patients face to face – THIS IS A PERSONAL CHOICE, YOU CAN CHOOSE NOT TOO IF YOU DON’T FEEL CONFIDENT TO DO SO.
- Practice physical distancing.
- Limit the number of practitioners in the clinic at one time, or number of clients in a waiting room.
- Ensure that there is enough time between clients to ensure that hygiene measures are in place and that they are not exposed to other patients.
YOU MUST SCREEN PATIENTS BEFORE FACE TO FACE CONSULTATIONS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY
- NO Symptoms of cough or fever
- NO – SHORTNESS OF BREATH IS A RED FLAG FOR AN IMMEDIATE REFERRAL TO THE GP
- NO contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 virus?
- Follow distancing measures if you are seeing patients face to face.
- Digital technology (video conferencing) or the telephone is an option to offer your clients continued support. (Zoom or Coviu as possible options, there may be others)
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – this is up to you. If you choose to wear this equipment (gloves, and or mask) you let your patient know it is as a preventative precautionary measure and for the safety of everyone.
- Wash your hands and offer your client the option of washing hands too before and after their appointment. Use a hand sanitiser as an additional option.
- Your patients are in a time that is uncertain. You can be a voice of re-assurance and support at this time.
- Regular cleaning of clinic surfaces, dispensing equipment, and common areas.
- Regular removal of waste
- Hygiene standards should be in place regardless of the present COVID-19 virus. Follow the guidelines as set out by the Ministry of Health for hygiene etc.
- NO promotion of false claims for treating COVID-19 as per the TGA
Your own personal health is paramount. Use your naturopathic knowledge for PREVENTION.
USEFUL LINKS – GOVERNMENT
COVID-19 General Information (Updated Daily) – www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert
Government Health Website – www.health.gov.au
Limits on Organised Gatherings – “These limits do not apply to workplaces, schools, universities, shops, supermarkets, public transport and airports”.
COVID-19 More Specific Information (including hygiene) – Key information for practitioners – www.health.gov.au/resources/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-national-health-plan-resources
COVID-19 Infection Control Training – www.health.gov.au/resources/apps-and-tools/covid-19-infection-control-training
COVID-19 Hotline – 1800 020 080
COVID-19 Resources (including posters and fact sheets) – www.health.gov.au/resources/collections/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-resources
- Small Business Support Hotline QLD – 1300 654 687
- The QLD Government has announced a $4 billion economic relief package. This includes payroll tax refunds and a payroll tax holiday, energy and rent support and assistance to workers who have been displaced by the crisis.
- Payroll Tax Deferral (ATO) – treasury.qld.gov.au/budget-and-financial-management/revenue-and-taxation/
- Small Business Support – business.qld.gov.au/starting-business/advice-support/support/novel-coronavirus
- Economic Response Package – business.sa.gov.au/COVID-19-business-information-and-support/Economic-response-package
New South Wales
Keeping the light of naturopathy burning bright!
B.Nat, BSc. Public Health, Dip.Med.Tech
ANPA Immediate Past President